The history of the Parish

The parish in Wąwolnica belonged to the diocese of Cracow. According to chronicles, there were three churches in the area. The first St. Adalbert Chapel was built within the walls of the castle. At the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries the Benedictines added a long nave and two side chapels to the main chapel. Documents from 1603 show that it was a parish church at that time. In 1700, a miraculous statue of Our Lady of Kębło was placed in it.
Next to this church, the present church of the same name was built from the western side in the years 1907-1914. After the consecration in 1928, the older church was demolished, leaving its chancel as a former castle chapel with the figure of the Holy Mother of Kębło.
Written documents confirming the existence of the parish are dated from 1325 and 1326. At that time there was a parish church in Wąwolnica and a priest who performed pastoral duties lived there. In the parish chronicle we can read that "the parson of the Wąwolnica church paid for the tithe ordered by Pope Clement V". The Church of St. Mary Magdalene in the market square, built of white stone, was a parish church until the beginning of the 17th century. Later it was used as a chapel. Originally it stood on the outskirts, but the rapidly growing city took it inside. It survived until 1849 and was mentioned by Jan Długosz in his Polish History.
The third church existed in the place where today there is a brick chapel on the road from Wąwolnica to Kębło. It was a wooden church of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It was supervised by Benedictine monks from the monastery of St. Adalbert on the castle hill.
In 1458 Kazimierz Jagiellończyk gave the royal parish to the monks and thus the Benedictine abbey of the Holy Cross took patronage over the city and the parish. The right of patronage expired in the 19th century after the dissolution of the monastery. Until 1819 the Benedictines served the inhabitants of Wąwolnica and the surrounding villages, shaping the spiritual and material culture. They established a shelter for the elderly (confirmed by a document from 1603). They set up a parish school. In 1603 its rector was Father Marcin Jaworski. In the parish archives there are references to the parish library already from the 16th century.
After the dissolution of the Benedictine Order in 1819, Prince Adam Czartoryski received the right to patronage over the parish.
The present parish church of St. Adalbert was built in the years 1907-1914 from the money of the faithful.
JIt is a three-nave, red brick church in the Neo-Gothic style of the Vistula River. Inside, there are wooden altars in the style adapted to it: Divine Mercy, St. Francis, St. Stanislaus Kostka and St. Joseph.
In the main altar there is a statue of the Madonna from XIII/XIV century, carved in a linden tree, called the Mother of God of Wąwolnica as opposed to the statue of the Mother of God of Kębło. On both sides there are sculptures of Poles of different states, paying homage to the Mother of God.
At the top of the altar there are sculptures depicting the Holy Trinity, and on the walls of the chancel there are paintings of St. Teresa and St. Isidore.

Information for pilgrims?


Attaining indulgences in the Minor Basilica in Wąwolnica

The believers who devoutly visit this Basilica and participate in the religious rite, or at least pray with the words of the Lord's Prayer and recite the Creed, may, under the usual conditions (state of sanctifying grace, Eucharist and Holy Father's intentions), get a full indulgence on the following days:

The anniversary of the Basilica's consecration
The anniversary of the consecration of the church as a Basilica (18.07)
Celebration of the title of the local church (23.04)
Solemnity of St. Peter and Paul (29.06)
Porziuncola (2.08)
The Feast of the Basilica of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Rome (5.08)
A day set by the Bishop of the Place (08.09 or the first Saturday 09 or the first Sunday 09)
Solemnities of the Blessed Virgin Mary

It is possible to receive a plenary indulgence once a year on any day and whenever a group of pilgrims arrives.


We would like to inform you that we are prepared to provide year-round service to pilgrims arriving and staying with us. There are thousands of them all year round, especially on the days of pilgrimages. During the year, we offer them the "Pilgrim's House". We are happy to welcome at our doorstep both organised groups (up to 60 people), whole families as well as individual Pilgrims. We have 2, 3, 4, 5-person rooms with bathrooms. If necessary, 6 persons. There is a possibility of using the chapel and ordering meals.
Price: 30 PLN/person
Booking: tel. (0-81) 882-50-04
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Dom pielgrzyma
Dom pielgrzyma
Dom pielgrzyma
Dom pielgrzyma
Dom pielgrzyma
Dom pielgrzyma
Dom pielgrzyma
Dom pielgrzyma
Dom pielgrzyma
Dom pielgrzyma


In our shop pilgrims can buy souvenirs from the Sanctuary.


In the area of the Sanctuary there is a restaurant for pilgrims.